Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: New Book Club Recommendations?

Your Message

Click here to log in

what type of a table is in this site's name?

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Additional Options

HTML

Topic Review (Newest First)

• 07-18-2011, 10:57 PM
    reallysocial
    Originally Posted by JoeSorge View Post
    So, what are your suggestions please?
    Not sure if this is still a live thread for suggestions, but I recommend the Jason Fried/37 Signals book, "Rework". It's a brief read, full of thought-provoking and counter-intuitive advice about how to approach problems, decisions, and work process.

If people liked the Derek Sivers book, they will probably like this book, too. (The Sivers book borrows liberally -- knowingly or not -- from this book; the structure and tone are very similar.)
  • 06-27-2011, 07:40 PM
    aaroncurtis
    All great books mentioned so far - Enchantment, The Thank You Economy, Do the Work, Poke the Box, are all books I've finished the past few months that would be fun to discuss.

I've never done an online book club, heck I've never done an offline book club, so I'm not sure what tips to give you.

Seems like we get a lot of interaction with the group during #ktt and #ktcoh ... maybe we could do some sort of tweetchat type deal?
  • 06-26-2011, 01:28 PM
    gregf
    I'll put in a vote for Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard. I think it would create some very interesting discussions.
  • 06-26-2011, 11:20 AM
    JoeSorge
    Nancy, I'm about half way. Great nuggets.

sent from my Droid Tablet using Tapatalk
  • 06-25-2011, 08:33 PM
    nancyd68
    I want to suggest a book. I just finished reading Enchantment by Guy Kawasaki. That is a fantastic book. Very easy to read.
  • 06-24-2011, 04:51 PM
    bigredtomato
    @steve I've just started using Audible - to listen to books whilst I'm driving, it's certainly useful when you're short of time to read.
  • 06-24-2011, 04:49 PM
    bigredtomato
    I've not read it yet, but I've started it. It's 'book yourself solid' by Michael Port. Lots of interesting ideas. When I posted on Twitter if anyone had read it, Michael Port retweeted it to his followers and I was deluged with tips from his followers. He has certainly created a loyal following.
  • 06-01-2011, 11:30 AM
    steve
    I have zero experience with book clubs but would also be interested in a study of Do the Work.
  • 06-01-2011, 10:36 AM
    JoeSorge
    Crud, these are three great suggestions. Thanks you guys.

Okay then, have you particpated in other online book clubs? I'm searching for the best ways to keep participants participating
  • 05-31-2011, 11:16 PM
    CThomas
    I cannot emphasize this book enough:

Getting Naked: A Business Fable About Shedding The Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty
    http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Naked-...6898136&sr=1-1

omg... fantastic!! #enoughsaid
  • 05-31-2011, 11:19 AM
    marilynhight
    I think, "Do the Work" by Steven Pressfield. It talks about overcoming resistance and getting out of your own way.
  • 05-29-2011, 12:05 PM
    margie_clayman
    I have to throw out The Entrepreneur Equation, not just so people understand why a quote from Carol Roth is on the homepage here, but also because i think her equation, as we go along, would raise huge topics for threads and conversation.
  • 05-29-2011, 11:42 AM
    raulcolon
    I started reading Evil Plans a few days ago. A quick read with lots of value.

http://gapingvoid.com/2009/06/25/my-...ok-evil-plans/
  • 05-29-2011, 11:33 AM
    JoeSorge

New Book Club Recommendations?

We've just wrapped up Book One - Think and Grow Rich - by Napoleon Hill and as great as it was I think we all found it difficult to stay focused on such an intense read with so many chapters. It seems like we'd do better to stay engaged with smaller reads like "do the work" or "poke the box", they are good examples because they work with a concise message in a shorter reading time frame.

So, what are your suggestions please?